Steven Wisbaum, the founder of the Mow Electric! Campaign, has been involved in environmental stewardship on both a professional and personal level for over four decades. In 2016, Steven recognized the potential to reduce the significant environmental impacts of the lawn care industry through the use of electric lawn care equipment, and at that time became the regional sales representative for a leading commercial electric lawn care manufacturer. The results of his marketing and advocacy activities included:
- The creation of ground-breaking incentives for E-lawn care equipment based on reduced GHG emissions. These incentives are now offered by all of Vermont’s 17 electric utilities, which have saved Vermonters tens of thousands of dollars.
- The establishment of a low interest loan program for E-mowers offered by the Vermont State Employees Credit Union (VSECU).
- A substantial increase in the number of contractors offering E-lawn care services in the northeast.
- The purchase of scores of electric lawn mowers including, those now used by Dartmouth College, UVM, the VT Department of Forestry Parks and Recreation, contractors, farms, and homeowners.
- The implementation of an E-lawn care equipment Pilot Project at the University of Vermont.
- The filming of an episode on the PBS “Green Motoring” program about Vermont’s use of E-lawn care equipment.
Since he’s no longer a regional sales representative, Steven decided to launch the Mow Electric! Campaign to utilize grass-roots collective action to expand the use of E-lawn care equipment, and thereby reduce the fossil fuel use, GHG emissions, air pollution, and noise associated with conventional lawn care practices.