Q. How much gas and diesel fuel could be saved by switching from conventional high-performance (ie. “Commercial”) riding lawn mowers to high-performance electric riding lawn mowers ?

A. The average commercial riding lawn mower burns about 1.5 gallons of gas or diesel per hour. So, assuming there are 500 commercial gas or diesel lawn mowers operating in Vermont by institutions (eg. Resorts, Universities, Schools, City Parks and Rec Departments, lawn mower contractors, etc.) on any given weekday, and assuming these mowers are being operated for seven (7) hours per day, five (5) days per week over a twenty-two (22) week mowing season, a total of 750 gallons of gas/diesel would be consumed per hour, 5,250 gallons per day, 26,250 gallons per week, and 577,500 gallons of gas and diesel is being consumed in Vermont by commercial lawn mowers over a 22 week mowing season. And since this calculation does NOT take into account all the lawn mowers (ie. riding, push, walk-behind, and stand-on) being used by homeowners, one assume that this 577,500 gallons is only 50% of the fuel being consumed per year by all conventional lawn mowers in Vermont (for a total of 1.15 million gallons of fuel) .

Q. How much of that money is leaving the local economy?
A. Assuming the average cost of fuel is $2.50/gallon, a total of $1.44 million to $2.88 million is being spent on the 577,500 to 1.15 million gallons of fuel consumed by commercial lawn mowers. Assuming 85% of that money leaves the state (ie. 15% stays in Vermont in the form of taxes and income for the fuel dealer), a total of $1.22 million to $2.44 million that’s spent on lawn mower fuel every year is leaving the state.

Q. How does this 1.5 gallons per hour consumed by commercial lawn mowers compare to the amount of fuel consumed by a conventional automobile?
A. Approximately 1.5 gallons of fuel per hour would also be consumed by an automobile that gets 26 miles per gallon (MPG) driving 40 miles per hour (MPH). Or 1.5 gallons of fuel per hour would also be consumed by an automobile that gets 20 miles per gallon (MPG) driving 30 miles per hour.